»

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Secret Discoveries (Part 10)

photo source: http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Western_Europe/Spain/Madrid%20Royal%20Palace/madrid4.jpg

Secret Discoveries Part 10 By: SEP

The scene of Crystal and Merlin faded within the orb as both wandered into the darkness of the hallway. As the vision within the glass ball disappeared, the Princess who, had been watching the orb, felt the darkness and uncertainty break her resolve. “But, but, who am I then?” Her voice wavered in the darkness, and the response was unnerving.

“I am glad you see sense child,” came the unearthly voice, “you cannot be Crystal, for one person cannot exist in two places at once. Yet, come child, do not fret. We shall rename you to avoid confusion, and then I shall tell you things your other half does not understand.”

“My other half?”

“Do not interrupt me.” The voice sounded cold, calculating, and distant. Then power exploded from the darkness. Its tendrils seemed to permeate the nothingness and struck the young princess with force. “Hence forth you shall be known as Michiko, my ‘child of beautiful wisdom.’ I expect you to live up to this name. Become wise my child… Michiko.”

“Michiko?” The princess said the name slowly, feeling the taste of it upon her tongue. “Daughter of beautiful wisdom? Is that what this name means? My name?” She felt confused. The power of her naming filled her and she felt her very essence tingle in response to the new name. Now, she was Michiko. She felt the correctness of this naming resound throughout her being.

Michiko’s resolve returned, her nerves soothed by the infusion of power from her naming. “Tell me friend; please explain my situation to me, for I find myself confused and unsure of my standing.” Her voice was strong again; fear of the ownerless voice had vanished.

“Ah, child,” the disembodied voice was gentle, so gentle one might weep at its tender inflections, “come, let us discuss your past, present, and future.”

Suddenly, the orb and hourglass disappeared, while simultaneously a grand throne room materialized out of the darkness. Indeed, the room was massive. The walls were gilded, covered in gold paint and partially hidden behind large red velvet curtains that hung throughout the room. The floor was covered in marble and the ceiling painted in frescos that moved slowly with the stars and sun like a huge clock. On a dais at the back of the room sat a woman of perfect beauty who seemed to glow with inner power. In fact, Michiko noticed that it was hard to look at the woman. Her features seemed perfect from afar, but if Michiko looked closer the woman became less distinct.

Michiko was curious now, and walked forward to better look at her host. When she was within fifty feet of the dais she stopped to curtsy, and as she raised her head, the woman’s features were discernable at last.

“AUNT MORGANA?!?” Michiko cried in surprise.

“I’m glad you recognized me at last child. Yes, we have much to discuss.”

Michiko was stunned. She stood, staring, as her aunt slowly rose and walked the last fifty steps to greet her. Morgana kissed Michiko on the cheek then slowly walked Michiko past the throne to a small door behind a velvet curtain where a sitting room was revealed. The two sat down facing each other as the silence between them swelled, unanswered questions creating a chasm between them.


Next --> Part 11

1 comments:

Sarah Rutti said...

very well done. I"m sorry it took me so long to read it. I plan to have the next part ready by the end of the week, available for sunday's post. I really like what you've done. a new twist, very suspenseful.